HAVE FLAX TO REMOVE FLAWS
Hi Folks. Its been a while that I visited my blog. What made me occupied and away from writing was hubby's illness. He had a surprisingly increased level of triglyceride and uric acid which resulted in tremendous amount of pain in all his joints. :( :( :(
He is better with prolonged medication along with some dietary restrictions as advised by our Ayurvedic Doctor- Vaidya Triguna. (Read more on Vaidya Triguna.)
Apart from medication, one thing that seems helping a lot is consumption of FLAX seeds (अलसी के बीज ) a rich source of Fiber and OMEGA 3 which is known as good cholesterol in a layman's language. I discovered this magic food supplement in a mood of desperation to fight with the bad cholesterol which he was suffering from. These tiny seeds are full of fiber and OMEGA 3 and miraculously capable to address multiple health problems. The rich content of OMEGA 3 keeps our heart veins healthy and melts the bad cholesterol accumulated in our heart arteries, keeps our joints fully lubricated and thus reducing joint pain caused by damaged cartilage. Minimizes the risk of osteoporosis in a later age also. It's a high fiber content and is able to beat even acute constipation and so filling that you don't feel like eating anything for long after consuming it. This results in reduced weight. Its rich OMEGA 3 content is highly effective to treat depression also. Its oil is very beneficial to remove pigmentation and gives you a healthy skin and shiny hair growth and so on. It is a proven fact that FLAX has double the OMEGA 3 one can get in any fish oil or any other fish food including Salmon. Then why not going a veg way..
It was a struggle for me to find these seeds in the nearby market and finally I got them in a superstore. A Sindhi store who made a fool of me by selling INR 400 a kg. I bought only 200 gm as I was not sure about it's taste. Later when I explored a different market, height of my surprise they are just Rs. 160 for a kilo. I recently bought the oil which is INR 400 for a lt. Reason sharing all this to save you from such instances ;-)
As far as the benefits are concerned they are endless and also a lot of information available over the internet about it but..... FLAX need to be consumed in a right manner to avail all its benefits i.e. right time to consume, right amount, raw or treated, oil or whole, accompanied with what etc. You know.. there was a medical practitioner named Dr. Johanna Budwig in Germany who successfully cured many patients from cancer (including those who were on the advance stage ) and her treatment revolved only around FLAX, in its different forms. Oil, soup, saus, powder etc.. She was a vegetarian and always promoted a veg diet as a prevention of cancer. She used to put her patients on a regime of FLAX diet + FLAX oil massage + wheat grass juice +Yoga and breathing techniques. This as a whole was able to recover many patients from cancer. She always promoted FLAX as a one stop solution for a healthy life. Despite of her remarkable contribution she was never be able to be into the limelight. Pharma industry giants never let it happen as this was a potential threat to the multimillion business of cancer treatment across the world.
|Raw Alsi / Flax Seeds |
Ok back to the point, here I am trying to compile all the information / knowledge in bullets which I have collected after hour's of research and a couple of books on FLAX seeds health benefits as a ready to use guide for all you folks.
- Flax can be consumed at any age.
- Flax can be consumed
row and treated both. Row seeds can be consumed directly in a form
of Chatni (saus) but only in a small quantity. (2-3 teaspoon a day). Raw flax seed contains the chemical hydrogen cyanide (HCN) or cyanogenic
glucosides which can be toxic if consumed in large quantities Once can prepare sprouts of Flax and also prepare.
- Another simple way to consume Flax is to roast them on slow to medium heat as treating it in high temperature has a bad effect on its Omega 3 content. Grind them coarse in a mixer grinder / coffee grinder and store it in a airtight jar. Don't prepare more than 200 gm at once as this can’t be stored for long. It will smell as roasted sesame seeds and one can consume around 1 teaspoon each morning and evening with cold to normal water or with curd.
- This powder can be consumed up to 60 gm in a day however the quantity should be increased gradually starting from one tea spoon. You can use the powder as a topping for your salad also.
- Its oil can also be consumes twice a day , around 8 to 10 Drops in 1/2 cup of cold or lukewarm water.
- Oil can directly be applied on pigmentation at bedtime. It will removes the pigmentation from your skin if applied and consumed patiently for a long time.
- As per Ayurveda Flax is hot in nature and as such should not be consumed in high quantity during summers, especially in places where summer season comes with high temperature. However 1 teaspoon a day with cold to normal water is acceptable and doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on health in any weather conditions.
- There is no specific guideline on how to consume it i.e empty stomach or with meals etc. One can have it in the morning empty stomach with water followed by breakfast and in evening on the same pattern.
- Flax is safe for kids however the quantity can be determined as per their age.
- Flax demands a lot of water intake due to its high fiber content. Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water daily after consuming Flax.
- Flax is filling when added in the flour to prepare bread / roti etc. It helps in reducing weight and increases right BMR. How to prepare Flax Roti (will upload soon)
- Flax is a great supplement for people who want to build a great body. A good alternative to the protein power supplements.
- One point solution for constipation. It just goes off.
- And at the top of it Flax is a great anti cancer proposition. Unfortunately if someone is fighting with cancer - Flax is a remedy to beat it to a great extent.
You know when I shared all this with my Mom what I came to know is - in her childhood days they used to consume chatni and laddo of Alsi all through winters. Crux of the story is that Flax was always there as part of our life. Probably we as today's generation are more fascinated with only things which come in glossy packaging and attractive branding and that's why Alsi is back in a commercialized from of "PACKAGED FLAX SUPPLEMENT".These are at least four times high the price it actually cost you. We happily pay and buy these supplements and consume as our gim instructor / doctor ask us to do. And you know what? the price a farmer actually gets from these Pharma companies is too less than the price they market it as a packaged food supplement. Sad isn’t it..
It’s anyways easily available in most of the grocesory stores as raw seeds. Let’s go back to our basics... simple, cost effective and easy to do.. Flax is one stop solution to a good healthy life. Go get it .. at just INR 140 for a Kg. ;)
Wish you all a happy and healthy life
PS: All queries are most welcome.
(Contents of this blog / published on any of it’s pages is copyrighted and the sole property of the author of this blog and copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of the content published on this blog without the prior written consent of the author is strictly prohibited.)